Friday, June 29, 2012

Chillin' Like a Villian

"Good morning, good morning, good morning...
it's time to rise and shine. 
Good morning, good morning, good morning...
I hope you're feeling fine.
It's time to get up, get out of bed! It's time to get up you sleepy head.
Good morning, good morning, good morning...
it's time to rise and shine."

New love-pbj
When I was growing up, my dad woke us up at 5:15 A.M. every week day but Tuesdays. He didn't sing this song to us, but he would put on music. In my early years this was upbeat records played on a record player. As I got older, it was tapes, and then c.d.s, of peppy hymns. Dad would turn on the music, and then he'd yell up the stairs, 
"Good morning!" After which he would proceed through each one of us kids names (there were 8 of us) so each one would feel greeted, and know they weren't excused from getting up that morning. We had to jump out of bed, and run down stairs for our morning hug. Early mornings just got ingrained in me.
Today, I could barely peel my eyes open-even with my cup of joe flowing through my system. I think my busy couple of weeks caught up with me.
Looking at my week's list yesterday, I felt a bit discouraged that I have several major things that I haven't done yet. These would include: filling out 5 passport applications, doing some other paperwork, cutting the boys' hair, and fixing our grill. All the extra things on my to-do list this week. But, then I remembered that I have done some things that weren't on the extra list, but still needed done. Like weeding the gardens. And cleaning my house thoroughly. And making bread and cookies. And reading to my kids. And doing some work in my bedroom. (I have 3 Mondays worth of thrift haul fodder=)) Oh, plus I made another button for my blog link party on Tuesday. That took forever! I still don't know what I eventually did to get it right. And I made a customized signature. I added the smiley face because in real life, I always sign my name with a smiley. Well, not on checks-but just about everything else. 
And, it has been HOT this week. Especially yesterday. We went on a sojourn to my bff's parent's pool last night to cool down before bed. All the kids were very brave. Just swimming around. Meres loved the little floaty thing they had. She was kicking around her happy foot.
such a handsome dud=)
LC
It's Friday, which means it is time for another small kitchen adventure.
I don't know about you, but in the heat I really don't like cooking. We eat a lot of salads. Light fare. I often will make a pasta or potato salad that stretches a few meals, and then I cook meat to go with it. I did pulled pork in the crockpot on Wednesday (pork, onions, a dry rub, a cup of water-cook on high a couple hours. Then add a mixture of 1/3 cup tomato paste and 1/2 cup dry red wine. Cook on low another hour or so. Then pull the pork using two forks. Delicious) In order to finish up the potato salad I also made on Wednesday, tonight I am making stuffed chicken.

no pics of BMV


also a good looking dud

do you know how difficult it is to take a self portrait in a pool?


she was totally in to her "gear."
The good thing about this chicken is it is easy, quick, and tasty. My kids have nick-named it Turtle Chicken, because they think the thighs look like little turtles. This can be baked on high, or grilled. It combines the strong flavors of feta and olives. The filling and cooking it at extreme heat for a shorter time, keeps the chicken moist.

Feta Stuffed Chicken
10-12 chicken thighs-DO NOT SKIN
3/4 cup feta cheese crumbles
2 ounces cream cheese
1/4 cup pitted, chopped Kalamata olives
2 t fresh oregano
1 small garlic clove, minced
salt and pepper

Pat dry thighs with paper towel, season with salt and pepper.
Mix cheeses, olives, garlic and oregano in a small bowl. 
With your fingers, place 1-1/2 tablespoons of filling under the skin of each thigh.
Heat oven (or grill) to 450 degrees. 
(if grilling-just grill)
Line a baking sheet with foil, place an oven safe cooling rack on the sheet. Arrange chicken on cooling rack. Bake 35-40 minutes-until skin is crispy and juices run clear.
Enjoy.

Well, to all my North American readers...this weekend-"stay calm. Stay cool."