Friday, June 1, 2012

Carpe Diem

Huntin' update...no fnm as yet. Which does somewhat amaze me. I have seen neither hide nor hair of him. And it has been raining buckets out, which I would think would drive him inside. Maybe he got stuck in someone else's trap.
It's JUNE! May flew by, here in the Hippie household. Today it is raining buckets, and is a bit chilly. And it feels less like June than May did. But, that will change. It always does.
bush bean sprouts
 My garden is drinking up the rain. The rain is perfect for it. The plants are all growing, and looking stronger. My bush beans have started sprouting too. I really enjoy watching their progress. My first lily has blossomed.
first lily-very early
Well, being summer time, I haul out my tried and true summer recipes. We do a lot of grilling in the summer, and I make various salads to go with meat.
Did I mention last week, when I gave the recipe for a perfect BLT, that bacon, lettuce, cheese and tomato is an unbeatable combo? It is. Here is a pasta recipe that melds these ingredients to a delicious affect.

BLT Pasta
1 pound pasta (any pasta-I prefer cavatapi or penne though)
12 slices of bacon
1 bag baby spinach
1 pint of grape or cherry tomatoes, quartered
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
8 ounces mozzarella cheese-cubed

Cook noodles according to package directions. Run under cold water to cool.
Cut bacon into 1/2" pieces then fry in a large skillet-reserving all the drippings. Drain on paper towel.
Return skillet to medium heat, add one tablespoon of reserved drippings, add spinach and stir until it wilts, 30-60 seconds. Place in a large bowl, with pasta. Return skillet to medium heat with half a tablespoon of the drippings. Add tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes. Transfer to pasta, add bacon and toss all together. Add cheese, salt and pepper. Add more of the dripping to moisten. Refrigerate until chilled.

fresh feta
This week Sam's was out of my normal feta cheese, so I went out on a limb and bought a block of fresh feta. It is amazing. I may never go back. It has a slightly different taste. I think it will make great salads and sandwiches. I am going to try it in omelets this morning for the BFF and I.

Greek Salad
1 pound pasta, cooked according to package directions, drained and rinsed under cold water to cool
1 cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise and sliced
1 pint cherry tomatoes
1/2 cup Kalmata olives, halved
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/2 a red onion, chopped

Mix all in a large bowl. Top with 1/2 cup of your favorite greek dressing OR
Whisk together
1/4 c. olive oil
1/4 c. chicken broth
1 T lemon juice
1 t. dried basil*
1 t. dried oregano*
1 t. dried parsley*
1 t. salt
pepper
*can use fresh herbs-use 1 T of each, chopped fine.

literary lunch circle

What is on my heart as I go in to this first weekend of June? I am thinking once again about how fast time flies. God has given me four beautiful children, and they are growing up before my eyes. This time with them is so short. A blink and it's gone. I don't want to arrive at the empty nest stage and wish I'd spent more time with them. I have been spending my evenings down on the floor playing with Meres. LC and I made a new batch of sugar scrub yesterday. We are going to try it out this weekend. Fresh pedis and soft feet for the new month. Freckles told me all kinds of new facts about the Vikings as I was making cookies. (there are not many women Viking soldiers-they are just civilians.) It is easy to just tune them out, but if I want them to keep talking to me later, I have to keep listening to them now. It is all important to them. They want to share what they are discovering day by day, just like I do. BMV is getting taller. I'd guarantee he has grown again this past month. He is tall and skinny and smells like a man. We instituted daily showers for him, and bought both boys their own deodorant. They think that is awesome!
I am reminded that I need to seize this day. The moment I am in, is the only moment I am guaranteed. I am taking time today to spend time and make memories with my kids. How about you?

growing and changing

Rest is not idleness, and to lie sometimes on the grass on a summer day listening to the murmur of water, or watching the clouds float across the sky, is hardly a waste of time. ~John Lubbock