Thursday, March 8, 2012

Oatmeal Cookies and Plethora Revisited

I made the most amazing Oatmeal Cookies yesterday! Seriously. And considering that I really don't like oatmeal cookies, this a doubly amazing thing.=) I couldn't tell you the last time I made oatmeal cookies. It would be sometime between forever and never. The thing I dislike most about oatmeal cookies is biting into one expecting a smidget of chocolate and ending up with a raisin. How absolutely disappointing!
That's not to say that I don't like raisins. I do. I just don't like raisins when I am expecting chocolate.
But, I've had an idea I've wanted to try out for a while...a marshmallow cream filling sandwiched between oatmeal cookies. I have a great marshmallow cream recipe that I frost hearty molasses cookies with. Plus, I like those oatmeal pies from Little Debby.
So, I mixed up a double batch of the Red Check oatmeal cookie recipe, using raisins. I made the cookies small. I probably used about one tablespoon of batter per cookie. They came out of the oven a bit thicker than I wanted. Next time I will flatten them a bit before baking. Then I mixed up my marshmallow cream, and frosted the rough side of half the cookies, sandwiching each with another cookie while the frosting was still moist. Ummm...amazing! My kids and husband were impressed. Here is the filling recipe.

Marshmallow Cream
1-1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon of vinegar
1/2 cup water
Combine in a small saucepan, cover and bring to a boil. Remove lid, insert a candy thermometer, and bring to 234-240 degrees. Remove from heat.

1 cup mini marshmallows
Add to syrup, and stir until melted.

Meanwhile, beat 2 egg white until frothy. Turn mixer onto high, and slowly add syrup, continuing to beat until stiff peaks form.


I want to revisit our WWoW, plethora. I was working on my Bible study today, and here is an awesome verse I came across-
Ephesians 4:16-20-that He would grant you, according tho the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might by His Spirit in the inner man; that Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length and depth and height; and to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fullness of God. Now to Him Who is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think....
Did you catch that last line? "Exceeding abundantly above." That's the definition of plethora. Plethora has extreme connotations. It is not usually considered a good thing. It is too much-and then some. But, when it comes to God, plethora is a wonderful idea. God can and does do exceeding abundantly above all we ask or think. Wow!

In the words of Francis Ridely Havergal,
"O fill me with Thy fullness, Lord, until my very heart o're flow.
In kindling thought and glowing word, Thy Love to tell, Thy praise to show."


I just can't get enough of her!



O, use me, Lord, use even me...